Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Reality, Science Fiction, and Flying Cars

A certain Wikipedia page told me that in five years, we're gonna reach that monumental year from Back to the Future II. Cool! But really, how does reality compare to science fiction? I know there are number of other lists like these and I've always wanted to make my own "reality vs sci-fi" list. Let's just say I'm doing it 5 years early, and hoping that certain technologies pull it off in the next 5 years to make sci-fi a reality.

1.  HOVERBOARD!!!
Yes, it is an all-caps situation. We (somewhat) have 3-D TV, car that runs on electricity, and all other cool gadgets with the apple logo. But when are we getting this? FYI to whoever in charge of making this: Please make it run on water, it sucks when you stall on the pond when you're running away from the crazy-looking bully.

2.  Flying Cars
Caution: the above picture do not qualify as a "landing attempt." Learn how to drive without wrecking things, else you just wasted gas and contributed to global-freakin-warming. This whole flying car business seems so close to coming true...but probably won't. [HUGE sigh] However, if miracle happens and flying car becomes a reality, I insist on mandatory IQ tests (as part of the steps you need to take to get that license) and more strict punishment for people who wreck other people's cars (especially the intentional ones).

3.  Transgenic Super-Soldiers

Bonus points if you get one to look like Jessica Alba. Then again, I suppose this is one of those things we're glad that it didn't happen?

4.  Iron Man's 3-D CAD, and...

Seeing from the movie, that CAD comes with some kind of automatic body scanner (have you seen Tony enter his hand dimensions?), and automatic assembly function.  Also, because Tony is pretty busy between saving the world and crashing parties, the correct fasteners will be chosen for you. Uh...I want me one of those? Pretty please?

5.  Iron Man's 3-D Printer

3-D printer that prints stuff out in Titanium!? As in, not some plastic? And it will do all the assembly, and painting? So. Jealous. Yes, even if it's a comic book/movie thing. While we're at it, I also want Tony's car collection before he lands his powersuit on it. :)


See, I was going to do 10, because everyone does Top-10 lists, but sadly, I ran out of cool gadgets. Maybe I'll add them later on. Technically, I could do Star Trek for the rest, but the technology on Star Trek that hasn't become a reality is still to far out there. Although, I'd love a "Beam me up, Scotty" to become a reality one day, granted that it's Scotty beaming me up. I want me in one piece.

xx-N

No comments:

Post a Comment