Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Alexander McQueen Pre Spring/Summer 2011

As I was going to write this article, someone decided that it would be a great idea to hack Twitter, which happened to be where I kept all the fashion related news articles. Impeccable timing, don't you think? So instead of writing about London Fashion Week, I get to write about my most favorite designer label of all times - Alexander McQueen.

I think the first time I learned about him was when I saw his clothes on Marie Claire fashion spread. Until then, I always had "LOVE!" and "...miss" in every designer collection. No offense, but I can't just love everything and still have a solid style of my own. Then I saw some pieces by Alexander McQueen and I just loved every single one of them. Since then, McQueen has never failed me in terms of originality and gorgeousness. And yes, I do love that crazy stiletto shoes Lady Gaga totally rocked in Bad Romance music video. I'd wear that shoes in a heartbeat! Let's hope that I have enough balance skills to not break a leg. Literally.
I'll totally rock this one day :D
Now, onto Pre Spring/Summer 2011 collection. McQueen likes to use black/red with gold, and for this collection, the main color of choice is black.
 
I'm loving the idea of having a similar look, but have one for cocktail dress and another for eveningwear. You can see how the cocktail dress style is a bit downplayed by using the gold motifs on shoulders only. 


McQueen is also known for having a very theatrical design - and yet be very wearable. It's every girls' (and some guys') dream to wear those crazy-gorgeous dress that you would only see in theater, and somehow McQueen made that dream come true by making the theatrical patterns wearable. LOVE. IT.
Lastly, this eveningwear is my favorite of all. Some of McQueen's looks are inspired by traditional orientalwear - I think this particular look is inspired by kimono - and McQueen adds a flair of originality while maintaining the class that is present in every traditional style. I have to say, that takes serious talent. 

I hope all the fashionistas out there liked this article. I also hope I have enlightened those who are not really into fashion. I disagree with the stereotype where fashion is deemed as a genre for girls and gay dudes. Fashion is a form of art, and everyone should be able to enjoy it! At least, don't be judgmental and hate it without knowing it first... 

xx-N

2 comments:

  1. I love the kimono dress! I don't think I could walk in those shoes, though ... :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Isn't that dress so gorgeous??? Right now, I'll probably break something if I walked in that shoes, too... :p

    ReplyDelete