Saturday, March 24, 2012

Rocket Scientist-Fashionista's Take on a Dating Site

Since all I write about is fashion and movies, I figured I would take a break and write about something about myself for once.

This weekend, I ended up being rather bored in my room with a laptop. So I did what everyone who has no plans on a Friday night would do: sign up for a dating site, and promptly go off of it in less than 24 hours. I'll explain why...

Channeling my inner Temperance Brennan, I would say that my brief stint on the dating site was a good anthropological study of a general population outside of my nerd bubble. I have obtained a good survey of the female profile that is the most desired among the male population, which then proved that I myself do not fit the profile in any way.

How was my Bones impression? Well being the rocket scientist, I have to examine and analyze each traits that was discussed in the said profile. Also, it's just plain fun.

"I want a laid-back, down-to-earth girl..."

Oh the cliche. First of all, I'm a rocket scientist. My job requires me NOT to be down to Earth. Literally. Now talking about this more figuratively, I'm a fashionista, so I'm still not down to earth. Let's face it, those people are the kind who thinks fashion is stupid, waste of money, and vain. I have had plenty of those comments thrown my way. What they don't realize is that by writing off fashion as vain, they are proving themselves to be a closed-minded people. I am not asking everyone to appreciate fashion, but the very least they can do is to show respect to the art.

I also have recently discovered that I get very depressed if I'm not moving at 100mph and staying up until 2am working. I don't know about you, but that doesn't scream "laid-back" to me.

"I want someone who is low maintenance..."

Let's see. The entire shelf of my closet space is filled with shoe boxes. I do not leave my house without a make-up on, because I believe in being at my best at all times. Recently, I caved and bought a few more pairs of yoga pants because I did not own any sweat pants that are not PJ's. I do not own a backpack. The only pair of flat shoes are my running shoes. I'm a Sephora VIB (like a VIP list).

Definitely not low maintenance. Thing is, this is just who I am as a person, and I'm not apologizing for it. I think everyone has a right to be who they are, as long as they aren't causing any nuisance. I know this is a popular misconception, but being high maintenance does not equal diva attitude.

"Are you a real person!?"

No, darling, I'm a terminator. John Connor sent me to kick your ass, and then I'm thinking about running for the governor's office in California.

In all seriousness, I got asked this for real. Is it so hard to believe that a rocket scientist can also be a fashion stylist!?

Channeling Bones again...Upon careful examination of the evidence presented, I have concluded that dating site is not for me.

Then again, I'm too busy anyway and I would like to spend the spare time (when I have one) with my friends. :)

xoxo,
N

PS: Going along with my nerdiness, I think I'll catch up on Fringe... <3

No comments:

Post a Comment