Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Loser Like Me

...but not to worry. This post is not a whining, complaining, oh-my-god-my-life-sucks post. I assure you, it's quite the opposite.

As you probably realized, I'm a Gleek. First season was awesome. Second season started off a little weak, but I think it's definitely getting better with plot, music, and a touch of Gwyneth. It goes without saying that I absolutely loved the Regionals episode. There were so many gleek-tastically awesome things about it: Kurt & Blaine duo, Sister Mary-ex-exotic dancer most likely inspired by Sister Act and played by Loretta Devine aka Chief's wife from Grey's Anatomy (yeah, I watch one too many TV shows), New Directions' girls' costume that was so edgy'n'sweet, and of course the music.

I love Get It Right, but I could relate more to Loser Like Me. The New Directions "wrote" this song as an anthem to how they are "losers" in high school but they are determined to succeed in life after high school (yes, there is one). The chorus part goes like this:

Just go ahead and hate on me and run your mouth,
So everyone can hear
Hit me with the worst you got and knock me down,
Baby I don't care
Keep it up and soon enough you'll figure out,
You wanna be, you wanna be,
A Loser Like Me!

Yeah, seriously, where was this song when I was in middle school and getting hit with the worst they got and knocked down? Let me tell ya, nerdy kid + thick glasses + mega-klutz + vertically challenged = bottom of the food chain in middle school. Since all that mattered was volleyball and basketball, everyone who couldn't play those two sports got the "uncool" label and well, I could play tennis and figure skate (I claim single axel as "being able to jump") and little bit of soccer, but who cares?

So I could rant and be bitter, but that's not my style. I learned a lot from this. For one, school life hell will end eventually, and this experience gave me a super thick skin. Also, I decided to do my best to not be judgmental. When faced with the sketchy situation, it definitely helps to go with the gut instinct. But in the non-sketchy situation, I think it helps to take time to get to know people. You know how Shrek said that ogres are like onions because they  have many layers? I think the same can be said for people who are not green, nor live in the...marsh? Where does Shrek live now?

Anyway, I know that when you're going through crappy time, have it be school or post-school, it seems like crappiness will never going to end. I also know, that however long and painful this crap-tacular time may be, it will end. Things will get better. You will come out much smarter and stronger. When life slushies you, why not turn them into sparkles? So to all the "losers" like me, here's our anthem.



xx-N

2 comments:

  1. Loved this post! :)

    I didn't know you in middle school, but the way I remember your from high school is: really cute, so smart it's almost scary, and always really nice to everyone :) You were a little sunshine at the end of that dark hallway (was it Sage 2S?)

    I treasure every "looser" like you that I meet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sonja! I'm glad you like this post :D

    Yup, Sage 2S...and seriously, that hallway was freakkin dark! I think I missed the turn and hit the wall couple of times, and I'm blaming it on the lighting. :p

    ReplyDelete