Sunday, September 12, 2010

No Day But Today

After yesterday's post, I feel the need to write about something with the "hope" theme, and yet still be about "I LOVE NY." Because...
There's only now
There's only here
Give in to love
Or live in fear
No other path
No other way
No day but today
--RENT, Jonathan Larson--
I'm such a huge Renthead - fan of the musical, RENT. The message is so simple yet so strong - live your life to the fullest. I "met" with RENT at the perfect timing. I was feeling pretty lost at that time and had nowhere to really turn to. I was taking all these classes, didn't really like any of them, but I needed all those classes to graduate and move on to take classes that I actually like. Maybe my problems are pretty small compared to yours. But see, I think everyone has their own problems, own tough times, and it's not up for comparison to see who's got it the hardest. The truth is, we all go through rough times, and if you think it's rough, it's rough. So in my world, I'd call it one of my tough times. I seriously don't think I would've gotten through it had I not put the RENT soundtrack on heave repeat every single day, for more than 6 months straight (sorry, my ex-roomie).

The writer/composer of the musical, Jonathan Larson, based the characters and plot on what really was going on in the city when he himself was trying to make a living and write that one great musical that would change the history of Broadway. In the late 80's and early 90's, so many artists were dying from AIDS, yet no one really knew what was going on. The level of treatment was not as advanced as today, nor the understanding of the disease on its own. RENT shows you what it was like to be living with "low T-cells" back then. This aspect also interested me first, because the musician who I absolutely love has died from AIDS complications. Freddie Mercury was the vocal of this rock band called Queen. I'm sure you've heard of their song at least once - just go to any sports event. ;)

It's hard to explain how RENT gives you the power to live. It's something you have to experience it first hand. Take a closer look at the lyrics, and you'll see that there's...
No Day But Today
xx-N

PS: Feel free to leave comments here or on any other posts - I'd love to hear what you guys think of my articles :)

No comments:

Post a Comment