Wednesday, September 8, 2010

NY Fashion Week

Yes, I do realize that yesterday I wrote how much I love soccer and today, I'm writing about my take on this NY Times article I read about Fashion Week. Total polar opposites. I just happened to like a whole lot of non-stereotypical things and just pick one topic per day. Hopefully I won't run out of stories anytime soon!

Who remembers middle school and/or high school lunch time? Wasn't it a somewhat dreadful event until you found your own group of buddies and a table to go with it? I was lucky and got away with having friends to sit with, or when they were busy with something else, I managed to turn that into a "make new friends" opportunity. That doesn't mean that I never felt that sense of anxiety - I did. While that phase leaves most of us after high school, that is apparently not the case for full-time fashionistas. That article talks in detail on NY Fashion Week seating arrangement, and while I did imagine some effort would go into who sits next to whom, I have to say, the level of intricate planning that goes into it was beyond my imagination. Here's the blurb to get the idea of complicated-ness:

"After its close association with Style.com for the last decade, Vogue is breaking away with its own Vogue.com franchise, which will compete head-on with the reviews and runway news of Style.com. For the effort, Vogue hired two former Style.com writers, Sarah Mower, a critic, and Candy Pratts Price, its creative director. That makes it tricky to seat the Vogue and Style.com teams together, as had been the norm."

Now, throw in some x numbers of other fashion writers, designers, bloggers, and celebrities, and you get the picture. Sort of.

To those who think fashion is "easy" and "doesn't take much thinking," think again. Without the fashionistas throughout the history, women could still be wearing that torture device called corset. As for men...well let's just say that at one point in history, it was considered to be very classy for men to be dressed in clothes with lace trimmings paired with high heels. Aren't you guys glad that someone outdated that look centuries ago? ;)

xx - N

No comments:

Post a Comment