Saturday, September 11, 2010

I LOVE NY

The title says it all. I love NY. I love RENT (the show is never over for Rentheads), the fact that I can get my Starbucks almost anywhere, the skyscrapers, Vogue Fashion's Night Out and NY Fashion Week, just to name a few.

But that's not my topic of the day. For someone who loves NY and was in the state (okay, not the city, but I was in the state of NY) on this day, 9 years ago, today is a day I can never forget. I still remember where I was and what I was doing. I was in the chemistry class when I heard it on the school speaker. I thought it was a prank at first. Then I zoned out because I was still slightly sleepy and the news was just too ridiculous. Seeing from my classmates' reaction I started to think maybe this is not some really sick joke and had to ask my friend what the hell was going on. I seriously didn't expect the two towers to crumble down, so then I thought it was an unfortunate accident and hoped that there were not many people being hurt. When we were asked to gather at the school chapel, I started to think that this was no accident after all. After that, I basically heard what everyone else heard on the news.

Ever since that day, it's not the political story that I remember the most. I still remember the small online news article that focused on an interview to a kid, probably around 10 at the time. His father was one of the first responders - a firefighter. That kid had one wish for Christmas, and if his wish was to be granted, he would be just fine with not having Christmas presents anymore for the rest of his life. He wanted his father back.

It's always the innocent people and the brave ones on the front line who get hurt the most. That's the thought that came to my mind as I looked over the sky with no airplane trails - the kind of cloud I love the most. The clear blue sky has never looked so sad.
From Gary Sinise's Twitpic
Like John Lennon said, I hope that someday, the world can live as one.

xx - N

PS: I updated the comments so everyone can post.
PPS: Made small changes as I found some grammatical errors and such...

No comments:

Post a Comment