Thursday, September 30, 2010

Paper or Plastic?

As it turns out, I'm keeping the designer bag and baseball to later posts. Mainly because I came up with something else I want to write about, but besides, designer bag can wait and baseball just became way too depressing. For me, that is.

So I'm a bit of a techie-nerd - I non-obsessively follow the gadget news and such. Then as I was reading the second book of Millennium Trilogy, I couldn't help but wonder: Will paper books disappear one day? My straight answer is: I freaking hope not! 

I do agree that e-books can be very lightweight compared to paper books. Also it comes with adjustable fonts, and I think some e-books or e-magazines come with embedded video clips these days. I'd say that would make one great picture book for sure. However, there can be a case where you won't be able to read your book, because the said book ran out of battery, or worse, the book can "forget" what it was about. Note to self: backup your book collection... 

On the other hand, with paper books, you won't have to worry about batteries or memories. Also, try walking around carrying a 5-lb textbook, topped with "I'm so sleep deprived" stare and chances are,  sketchy people will think twice before messing with you. It's like carrying around a pepper spray, except it'll also make you smarter. Awesome, right? But in all seriousness, I think we all spend too much time staring at a computer screen that we all need a break from it. In fact, I am staring at one as I write this. Sure, books and magazines with embedded video clips are wonderful; however, nothing can beat imagination. Maybe you can get the same image with e-books, but I don't think I can - it's just not the same without being able to physically turn the pages. There's one reason I love to read, and that's because I can go anywhere - even to places that doesn't exist in this world. I think it's great to see what other people pictured what Middle Earth and Alagaesia to be like, but it's also great to have your own version of what Robert Langdon and Lisbeth Salander would look like and talk like. 

With that, I think I'm remaining non-techie for this one and choosing paper over plastic. ;)

xx-N

2 comments:

  1. I've often been tempted to buy an ebook reader, but I still prefer to hold a real book in my hands :) It's a bit of a pain to carry them around the world, but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I agree - it's totally worth it. Also you can say that you and your fav book travelled around the world! That's way classier than "you see, me and my e-book reader gadget thingy..." ;)

    ReplyDelete